Missing style sheet error when installing the theme
A common issue that can occur when installing a WordPress themes is “The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.” error message being displayed when uploading or activating the theme.
You will need to extract and locate the installable WordPress file. Make sure you are uploading only the installable theme which is called theme-name.zip through your WordPress admin section.
- Log in to your WordPress admin area.
- Go to ‘Appearance > Themes‘ section
- Click on ‘Add New‘ and select the ‘Upload Theme‘ option
- Browse and select the theme-name.zip file and press ‘Install Now‘.
- Click Activate.
That’s it! You’re all set and ready to go 🙂
Step 2 (Alternative) : Upload/Install Theme Via FTP
Firstly, you will need to extract ‘theme-name.zip‘
1. Access your hosting server using an ftp client like FileZilla
2. Go to the ‘wp-content/themes’ folder of your WordPress installation
3. Browse and select the ‘theme-name‘ folder and put in ‘wp-content/themes/’ folder on your server.
4. Login to your WordPress admin area to change the theme.
5. Go to ‘WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Themes’ section to activate the theme
6. Click the “Customize” link in Customization box menu to get started customizing theme
7. Click “Save & Publish” the Theme Customizer once, so that a theme customizer default value gets stored in the database.
Check out the guide on WordPress.org here.